Hello and Welcome!
I’m Asheritah. I’m a wife, mother, writer, and streusel blueberry muffin connoisseur. But above all else, I’m a lover of God.
I met Jesus in the back seat of my parents’ Subaru one cold autumn night as a little girl. Now He calls me to meet Him every day, whether in the morning quiet at the kitchen table, in the rush of traffic on the road, or in the midnight stillness while I rock my baby girl.
I grew up as a missionary kid in Romania. The joy of being an MK is that I saw God work miracles on a daily basis, transforming drunkards into devoted moms and dads, illiterate men into preachers, and towns rife with racism into communities where race doesn’t matter. It’s in the trenches of pioneer ministry that I discovered my own passion to reach people for Jesus, not just to get the unchurched out of hell but to invite church-goers into a joy-filled intimate relationship with Jesus here on earth. And though my family of origin is going through a season of brokenness right now, I am convinced that God isn’t finished with us yet.
That’s my little fam in the picture above. They are God’s choicest blessings in my life, and I’m thrilled to be Flaviu’s wife and Carissa & Amelia’s mama. It seems they bring out the best and the worst in me, and they love me anyway. That’s true love there. People who stick with you even when there are dishes in the sink, unmatched socks lying around the house, and cuddles long overdue. Because this is real life and we all need grace.
I write encouraging devotionals as well as Bible study tips, prayer prompts, spiritual disciplines, and book reviews. My husband Flaviu and I also create printable resources that you can download, print out, and take with you to deepen your walk with God throughout your day. You can find those resources here.
My goal here on OneThingAlone.com is to encourage and equip you to pursue an intimate relationship with Jesus where you are right now. And if you’re wondering about my doctrinal beliefs, click here to find what I believe.
I typically post once a week, sometimes more. To make sure you don’t miss my newest posts, you can subscribe via email. It’s quick, easy, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
And if we were sharing blueberry muffins, we’d get to know each other by asking questions. Since I can’t read your mind, I’ll share 19 random facts about me to make you feel right at home, and then you can tell me something fun about yourself on Facebook or Twitter, so I get to know you, too!
- I was born in Athens, Greece. But according to the Consulate, I’m not Greek.
- I resisted the lure of coffee until I started writing my first book manuscript with a newborn baby. Now I’m convinced Almond Joy Mochas are a gift from above.
- I flunked kindergarten. True story.
- I love tulips, calla lilies, and dahlias; I’m not a fan of roses.
- I met my husband, Flaviu, in 6th grade when boys still had cooties. Obviously, I got over that notion.
- I used to bite my nails. Now I only bite the skin around them.
- My parents were pioneer missionaries among the gypsies in Romania in the mid-1990’s and 2000’s. The revival God stirred among them was the most life-transforming event I’ve experienced so far.
- I graduated from Cedarville University with an English degree but was interested in so many other subjects that I ended up with 5 minors.
- I have a hard time making decisions. My husband does, too. Put the two of us together, and it takes us an agonizingly long time to make simple decisions like what fabric softener to buy.
- Although I love to read, I can’t pick a favorite book. (See #9.) I’m more likely to give you a list of my top 10 picks in a given genre. (Like these favorites for Christian women here and marriage here.)
- I get loopy when I’m tired. If you’re looking for free entertainment, that’s me at 2:30am.
- After I realized the hapless job market for English grads, I hired in at a telemarketing company. Surprisingly, it was a fantastic experience.
- I’m fluent in both English and Romanian despite my lack of linguistic affinity: I studied French for 6 years but wouldn’t be able to order a meal in Paris.
- I’ve hiked the Alps, Carpathians, and Appalachian Mountains. The Rockies are next on my bucket list.
- The bulk of my English vocabulary comes from books I [silently] read in junior high. I often so grossly mispronounce words that people don’t know what I’m talking about. (And I don’t even have an accent to blame!)
- I de-stress by baking. Unfortunately, Flaviu is not a fan of baked goods so I quickly get them out of the house before I can repeat the Very Hungry Caterpillar cake episode I talk about in Full.
- I run 5Ks to balance my love of sweets (see #16). I dream of completing a triathlon some day, which is totally laughable because I am NOT an athlete.
- My natural births coached by Flaviu were our most bonding experiences. I couldn’t have done it without him. He says he couldn’t have done it without me, either. We work well together that way.
- I absolutely LOVE to find an old-fashioned letter in my mailbox. If you’re so inclined, feel free to write to me a note. I read every single letter I receive: 1370 Main St., P.O. Box 330, Lakemore, OH 44250
My Contact Info
Experience Christmas like never before
Receive a FREE 3-Day Sampler of Unwrapping the Names of Jesus - Advent Devotional