Every mom needs a pick-me-up when times get tough. Lean into Scripture with these perfect selections to encourage your heart. Plus, get a printable pack of these verses to stick above the sink, on your dashboard, and in your wallet!
Some of them are your typical Mother’s Day verses, while others are not, but apply wonderfully to the multi-tasking role we’re called to. I’ve shared a brief thought on each, but feel to skip those and just soak in the Truth.
1) A kindhearted woman gains respect. -Proverbs 11:16
This verse first and foremost, because when I’m tired I can get mean and that’s a fast way to lose respect.
2) Keep your love for one another at full strength, because love covers a multitude of sins. -1 Peter 4:8
Sins? We’ve all got them. Mommy guilt too. God’s love covers us, and we need to cover each other in love, too.
3) The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. -Proverbs 14:1
I want to build my home with my time, my actions, my words, and my priorities. Is what I’m doing right now building my home or tearing it down?
Feeling bored with your Daily Devos?
Receive a FREE 3-video series to Jumpstart Your Creative Devotions Experience
4) How happy is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways! You will be happy, and it will go well for you… You…will see your children’s children. -Psalms 128:1-2, 5-6
Sometimes I just need to step back from the temper tantrum and see the big picture. Is this going to matter 10 days from now? 10 months? 10 years? Take the long view.
5) Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? – Isaiah 49:15
God compares His love and compassion for His people with a mother’s love for her nursing child, lifting up moms as a praise-worthy example of sacrificial love. Be encouraged.
6) As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you. – Isaiah 66:13
Up at 2 am, rocking your baby to sleep? Kissing a boo-boo on a scraped knee? Talking your tween through her first heartbreak? You’re not alone. God knows what it’s like, and that’s the way He comforts you and me, too.
7) And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed.” – Luke 1:46-48
Mary, perhaps the most well-known mother in the Bible, sings this beautiful song when she learns that God had chosen her to bear the Christ child. She reminds us that our faces and hearts should be turned toward heaven in an ongoing song of praise.
8) Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Dear woman, here is your son,” and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home. John 19:25-27
This passage shows Christ’s love and care for his mother. Make no mistake: Jesus values the role you and I have as mamas, and He demonstrates the care with which we should treat the mothers in our lives.
10) Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. – Proverbs 31:30
Don’t rely on charm or beauty or your list of accomplishments (aka the “perfect Proverbs 31” trap); they’re all idols that distract us from Jesus. Bloom instead where God has planted you and rest.
11) Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. – Deuteronomy 4:9
Has God done something in your life? Tell your kids about it. Show them what walking with God looks like in the day-to-day.
12) I can do all things through him who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:13
13) Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world. – Philippians 2:14-15
Like dirty diapers, a sink full of dishes, and folding laundry? Yep. Shining light right there.
14) Knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. – Colossians 3:24
Don’t discount the little things. They matter more than you realize.
15) For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” – Isaiah 41:13
Whisper this to yourself as you go about your day. Preach the Truth to your soul, even when you doubt.
16) And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. – Galatians 6:9
Don’t give up. Take Dory’s advice and Just keep swimming.
17) There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God. – Ecclesiastes 2:24
Celebrate the little things in life. Seriousness is not a fruit of the Spirit, but joy is!
18) For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. – Ephesians 2:10
Do you know what your day holds? Probably not. But God does, and He’s given you enough grace for today. Walk with Him.
19) But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. -Isaiah 40:31
This is where you get supernatural strength when you feel worn out. Run to Jesus, dear friend, and find rest in Him.
20) Teach us to number our days, that we may get a heart of wisdom. -Psalm 90:12
Soak in the Truth of these verses. Your work is important, dear mama, and what you’re doing right now, wiping boogers, packing lunchbags, teaching phonetics–it ALL matters. Take heart, God Himself is with you and He will strengthen you.
Also, if you’ve enjoyed this post, I’d love it if you’d share with your friends so more women can be encouraged in their walks with Jesus. Thanks!
HEY FRIEND, NEED ENCOURAGEMENT ON THE GO?
Sign up to get all these verses on a handy printable. Post it on your fridge to get instant encouragement for your heart.